Friday 27 May 2022

Take the bridge over these waters

I have almost drowned in far too many rivers
Mostly of crocodiles, in dual tones and subterfuge
In the grand scheme of things what mattered didn't 
I was gasping to breathe, while those scaly ones swam through

Ah! Such majestic creatures, so full of love 
Adding salt to my wounds and clawing at my brows
In the willful dissent from my learnings of life
Love was gnawing at my soul, they were at it too

As all rivers do, all of them did finally run dry
When the vultures came to peck, my half dead corpse
I smiled at them, found their pecking to be gentle 
Love can make everything painful seem beautiful too

When the last day dawned, upon each of these rivers
My half dead, half eaten corpse lay rotting in the mud
I begged to love, in an apathetic presumptuous tone
I asked if love would ever stop hunting me down

You see, crocodiles come and go, they do as they please
Their hunger for discord is persistent and an unease
I have learnt now to be nimble and have cultivated resilience 
For I understand love can bring persistence or pestilence 

No comments:

Post a Comment