Friday 4 November 2022

To be or not to be

It is easy to find you 
You are either rummaging through pages of inked words
Sometimes lost in the bright lights
Tipsy yet never belonging to any of these 
You are here, you are quite here
But then in the dark recesses of your mind, you are not
I could know where you would want to be
I have been there all my life
A little longer than I would have wanted to
Growing colder than I wanted to
I started out as fire, like the one in you that you try to tame
Trying to fit in, yet not trying, wanting, and not willing
Will you? you won’t this time is not yours
I could tell you that I would want to hear your stories
Wrap my own skin around to stop you from growing cold
But you and I know
The warmth seems to ebb at the approach of love
In our fright, for in our fights
Our flights, we have won, but lost
When your fingers are painted a touch of green
I would call them pastel green; you know it is 
But you would want to disagree
You know I love it
You love that opposing force
-Of truths, 
it is how you and I have faced the world
we hate the absence of that conflict; we know we can win
so, we turn sides to be wrong, wishing deeply
for a higher meaning, hoping
failing
knowing
your heart is as frail as mine, yet you and I are at the frontlines
  of a war that seems irrelevant to our life
succumbing to the numbness of love and longing
not to each other, 
we couldn’t
could you, I wish you wouldn’t 
for unlike me, 
you may have your moments of wanting to smile
I have smiled further than I could anymore,
Or so I thought 
but you still make me do so
- Poignantly too 
So, Miss November, I don’t miss November
You and I are in striking distance of the cold
Let not the cold overtake you as it has me
Be more, be bright, be the storm, be all but me.

No comments:

Post a Comment