Wednesday 2 November 2022

Growing up

First Act
It was an orange candy and then
    and the sun was orange
    like a giant orange candy that I wanted to bite into
I was told I could bite it when I was older
Then I chased butterflies, always carefully so
    their powdery wings were brittle, I knew
    I was never catching any though
I grew into my teens wishing to be so much more
    little did I know, this world had more to cry
    and so I hid, as I always did,
    from me,
    from them,
    from all of you

Second Act
It was a beautiful sixteen, a bright one too
    and there was no cake
    so no candles to place onto
I was told I could have one, just when it was affordable
    then I chased butterflies, two-legged ones now
    their powdery faces were plastic, I didn't know
    I was never catching any though
I grew into my twenties, wishing for so much
    little did I know, this world had nothing to try
    and so I hid, as I always did
    from me
    from me
    from all of me now

Third Act
I was twenty-five, and at the cross of change
    and there were friends and wine
    and glasses I could fill now
I was told I could be anything, but not what I want
    then I chased the butterflies, those mythical ones carelessly now
    Their images were powdery, I came to see it so
    I never was catching any, and the wine was helping how!
I grew into my thirties, wishing for so little less now
    little did I want, for there was no will left to
    so I hid from me again
    lied to me again
    and again
    and lies became the truths I know

Fourth Act
I was forty-three, and now I have nothing left
    the friends and love have faded long
    the glass ceiling of pretense is broken now
I tell the young to be everything, and I ask them to do it now
Then we chase butterflies, those imaginary dreamy ones too
    they seem to be more peaceful at long last
    I make new ones and let them fly now
I will grow into my fifties, I seem to now bother to wish
    for all I want is either gone or irrelevant
    for now, I stand center stage and sing
    the songs of times long ago
    here I am again, feeling happy somehow

No comments:

Post a Comment