Monday 20 June 2022

A crowning

"Sometimes you need to have a hand that holds yours, especially at a dentist" I said
"Yes
Dentist appointments are a scare, for most" she exhales as she sits on the chair
It reclines slowly, she is watching me, her eyes zooming of sorts, like a portrait lens slapped on an analog camera
"what film are you running behind those eyes love?" I jest
She is curious, she asks "why, are there different films?"
She knows I will take her on a beautiful film history journey, and explain about low light, fast paced, other photo films
She listens, so does the dentist
At this the dentist and I are speaking, he has questions for sure
He is intrigued, as he rinses her tooth with a tiny jet
"I remember dad had a dental camera, I am a third generation dentist"  he says
As he takes a the drill to her partially crumbling molar, it whirrs, she flinches a tad gently
She is listening to the dentist and I speak, we are talking about how the dentine looks
I run my hand on her forearm, reassuring, mid conversation 
She has been calm, now she is a bit curious
In a curiosity bound anxiety of sorts 
I break conversation for a moment, as he is killing the root of her molar
It's hard work, I go back to film
She is looking at me, capturing me possibly at a thousand frames per second
She will tell me about how my bristles sort of look odd since I forgot to trim my moustache 
Yes, pretty much like a camera focussed entirely on me
The filler is being added, I am still running my finger tips on her forearm
The dentist asks her to spit out again, she tries to smile, right cheek partially numb
"You look so cute, the struggle is real pompom" I mention
It's done, the dentist and I have become quite good friends
She gets up, tries to hug me, accidently from her right side, I slide her quickly to catch her hug from the left 
"you monkey, don't forget you just had a root canal" I remind her with concern
She realises, she hugs me again
"Can you do the next visit by yourself love, should I get stuck? I ask lightly
The dentist nods a yes, then realises I am asking her
He laughs as we thank him
She is at ease, the dentist is a known person now she realises
She hugs me again
I tell her, no burgers for you today though
She smiles as I kiss her left cheek. 

No comments:

Post a Comment