Tuesday 12 July 2022

the eyes that calm my storms

My dog, Jessica she fell ill once
I am so used to hearing her sounds
Lapping at her bowl of milk or water
She stood there, staring, hungry nauseated
My heart broke, 
in the absent lapping music
As she looked at me with her helpless eyes
I held her in an embrace, it was post vet
This was a waiting, of her nausea to fade
She licked my face, once 
She doesn't usually do that, she is different 
She has her reservations, 
she hasn't licked anyone at all 
I lay with her beside the water bowl
My head heaving on her stomach
Hearing her breath her sigh
Of pangs of hunger and her discomfort
It wrenched my heart, as I waited for comfort
Between the forced feeding of milk
Through the syringe and my hands
For the medicine to take effect, I comforted her
She knew what it was, but I needed comfort
She couldn't and it made her feel sadder
When she stood up a few hours later
She kissed me with her nose, drawing my focus
She stood at her water bowl, as if ready to conduct
An orchestra of the most beautiful music ever known to me
She lapped at the bowl, stirring my tears
Of sheer joy, 
As she watched me exhale in relief
She sat on my lap, barking for biscuits
My Jessica, my girl, my wondrous love

No comments:

Post a Comment