Sunday 4 April 2021

The other day

There beside the old office road 
We would often meet, ale and fume
And part, in opposite directions
Sometimes together, other times in sequence
I would always leave last, I was stubborn
I would watch her leave
Dead eyes; yes, I remember
That is what she would finally name them
She would watch me stare at her
Then she left one last time one meeting
It was her leaving that always hurt
The most, I guess
This was my heart choosing to
Yet I was always keen to see her
Even post the genesis of her retrograding
 
Now that it has come to pass
I no longer visit those roads, by choice
They remind me of myself
Foolish man; yes, I remember
That is what my heart always called me
So today I found a new bar
Where the ale and fumes scatter far
Under the open roof, reclined in my comfy chair
And as drinkers are a traditional kind
To lost comrades and love I sprinkle
A few drops of ale into the air

No comments:

Post a Comment