Wednesday 7 April 2021

"Sit a while, let us chat, you have grown
Older and wise," said Kaka beaming in smile
I sat with him, at the tea stall bakhda
The morning mist blending the kettle steam
I signalled to Raju chaiwallah '2 cutting, special'
I was ready to chat with Kaka, sit a while

The years had worn him down
His teeth, yellowed from bidis, 
We used to steal his beedis I remember
Kaka was always kind and sweet, strict too
I offered him my cigarette, and a light
I wouldn't smoke, before him, traditional respect
He nodded in acknowledgement, and spoke

It was a long conversation, of life and god
Philosophy, wars, the old times and all
I heard him through, 
without interruptions, Traditional respect, 
we never speak to elders out of turn
I signalled for two more cutting chais
Heard my teacher, after so long

We spoke past 7 through 9 and the mist had faded
There were others who joined, inquiring his health
I had forgotten how many years he had served
He had given me 6 , and he had served 40
I paused him for a moment and turned around
I found everyone by then had arrived
We all had brought him gifts, as a surprise
The students he had taught and set right.

A teacher may seem to teach us a while
Yet they help us know about life
They arrive when we are at our weakest
Stay and strengthen us, till we can walk miles
This one is for all the Kakas that you know
Spend a thought, and send them love
For when you reach adulthood
Their lessons shall hold your heart and soul.
Steady, strong, always until you breathe.

No comments:

Post a Comment