Monday 26 September 2022

Absent Mindedly is the both of us

Monday evenings, those post-work video conversations are often inclusive
We could be talking about how work often riles us up, talking brings us comfort
I talk to you as I am making coffee. The phone screen, touched by a hint of steam, fogs it up
I wipe it absent-minded and sometimes end up disconnecting our call
You call back, knowing how I do that, and hear me ask why you disconnected
You smile and say nothing, and I realise it was me who had

As you walk home, you sometimes hold the phone close to you
In between glimpses of your printed tops, I get a glimpse of the alley leading to your home
I see a few familiar faces. I sometimes wave at them, absent-mindedly then realise my folly
You snicker at my silliness. You know I get all loose in my head with you on the line
You mention someone, stop and talk to them too as I hear some bits of your conversation
I hear you laugh at something. I float into the realm of gentle clouds of happiness

As you reach your home, you pause to gauge if all is well and if you could stay on the call
Some days you are in no mood to argue, you send me a kiss on the call and hang up
On other days you pop the phone into your pocket and wander around still on phone with me absent-mindedly
I hear your talks about if there is your evening tea, as you suddenly realise you haven't changed
During such I catch a glimpse of you, half bare, I interrupt and let you know I can see you still
You look into the screen and blow me a kiss, ask me to wait for your call, and I wait

No comments:

Post a Comment