Tuesday 16 March 2021

Coming to collect

A few years ago, I visited my village
Walked through the dusty roads
Beside the old home that was mine
Amongst the lush mango and moringa trees
For a few moments I stood at the courtyard
Asked the owners if I could sit on the dusty ground
He was visibly confused
Until I mentionedy name
At that he smiled wide
And invited me indoors
I declined, but asked if I could sit on the verandah
Where I have often, as a kid sat pondering
Thinking of if I could fly, if I try
Or if water would solidify in the sunny heat
He obliged, offered me some water
I sat there, again 30 years after
It felt like only an evening has passed
And my grandma would call me for evening prayers
I asked him, if he prays or his kids do
His 8 year old girl had just stepped out
Chanting 'Deepam, Deepam' with a lamp in her hands
I stayed back for a few minutes and left
This time my mind followed me
I had after all come for such
I was living in Mumbai till then
But in Kavasseri I was alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment