Thursday 13 April 2023

Staying in my lane

In this April rain, that is out of place in Pune 
When monsoon is two months away
I remember us drinking a beer late evening after work
You would ask me to take you out for dinner , then choose to get a beer
I still hate french fries, but I order them
I mix mayonnaise with some mustard
And share it to whoever is the present company, watch them relish
While I stay clear of indulgence in what your memories are
The wind howls, calls out to me to dance in the rain
As if to celebrate knowing you, and being in love
I stop myself at the stairs, I am wearing a suit, it is Thursday usually
You remind me, without being here
I always return to my table, behave as a polished man
A man smitten by you, forever even if you no longer subscribe to it
You probably are chasing the eternal flame guided lover
Who may have a few flights of fancy you wish to ride
Yet at the end of it all, I sigh and wish for your hand in mine
I know the only one is the waiter shaking it firmly
Wishing me a good night
I smile at him, fold a few hundred rupees and let him have it
They smile at me, unlike you they want my patronage
And unlike you, I just live in the hurt of being alive
I sit down again to order another beer, this one is for you
I hope you find love, for you are worth all the love in the world and more

No comments:

Post a Comment