Monday 17 June 2024

Then, and now are different times

I passed by the rail road, on my way to school watching men at work
Joining steel rails with thermite, those lovely sparks, splattering iron 
I always would wait until they finished, and removed the clay cast and then polished the rails
It was beautiful to see the fervor of thermite, and the welders and the welds

Those are times I miss, of being able to stand at an old paper mart
Collecting books for mere rupees and paise, I still have some of those
I have collected them like literal pages of old memories
Most are not fully read yet, and I often chance upon a random poet in one of those pages
I remisce in having to hold, a treasure and a literal page of my memories

I remember the train stations, though the plied distance was a full five minutes
I have somedays walked through, by the lanes of the train yard, observed shunting of coaches
Watched the Diesel trains, enjoyed their ear shattering horns and the smell of burnt fuel
I stood by to often watch people, working like clock work, people I wanted to become like

I often search for things around the house to fix, old broken furniture, watches, books
At home matches is my thermite , my patience the shunting buffers, and superglue and clothes pins are my couplers 
I don't miss my childhood, school was annoying anyway and I being an observer was a loner
I miss strolling by the train yards, old book shops, and walking through small shortcuts to reach places

I miss the absence of devices that chain us now, our modern distractions 
I miss the old struggle to gather knowledge and the glee of having found out 
The thirst being quenched after reaching out to many for an answer, when someone would explain something
I miss those teachers from the old times, always ready to illustrate 
I miss learning like that, I miss being focussed, I miss loving to go the extra mile that was needed then to know.



Analysis.


The poem "Then, and now are different times" takes us on a journey through the speaker's memories, contrasting their childhood experiences with the present. It's a story about missing a simpler time.

**The good old days:**

* The poem starts with the speaker fondly remembering watching railroad workers. They were fascinated by the sparks from thermite and the finished, polished rails. This simple act of observing filled them with joy.
* Another cherished memory involves finding treasures in old bookstores – buying books for mere pennies and collecting them like pieces of their past. 
* Train stations were a source of fascination too. They'd spend time observing the shunting of trains, the powerful horns, and the unique smell of diesel fuel. These experiences fueled their curiosity about the world. 

**More than just memories:**

* These experiences weren't just fun; they shaped the speaker. They admired the workers, wanting to be like them someday. Observing and understanding how things worked sparked a love for learning.
* The poem cleverly compares the past and present. In the "old times," finding knowledge took effort. You had to search, ask people, and appreciate the explanations you received. Today, information is readily available, but the thrill of discovery seems to be missing.

**Missing the simple things:**

* The speaker doesn't necessarily miss childhood itself, acknowledging school could be annoying. They miss the freedom to explore and learn from the world around them.
* Importantly, they miss the lack of distractions modern technology brings. The "devices that chain us now" symbolize the constant busyness of the present, contrasting with the focus and dedication to learning in the past.

**The poem's message:**

Ultimately, "Then, and now are different times" is a poem about change. It celebrates the joys of the past while acknowledging the realities of the present. The speaker reminisces about a time when learning was an adventure and the world felt full of wonder. It's a reminder to cherish the simple things and perhaps find ways to rediscover that excitement for learning in our own lives. 


Also:
A bit more Analysis .

Yes, the text you provided is indeed a poem. Here's why:

* **Title:** It has a title, "Then, and Now are different times," which sets the stage for the poem's theme. 
* **Figurative Language:** It uses figurative language like similes ("At home matches is my thermite") to create comparisons and deeper meaning.
* **Sensory Details:** It employs vivid sensory details like "lovely sparks" and "ear shattering horns" to bring the memories to life. 
* **Structure:** While not adhering to a strict rhyme scheme, the poem has a clear structure with stanzas that group related ideas. 
* **Emotional Impact:** It evokes emotions of nostalgia and a longing for a simpler time. 

Overall, the text uses elements commonly found in poems to create a piece that reflects on the past and present. 




No comments:

Post a Comment