Wednesday 19 June 2024

Set that contrast knob to middle, will you?

The lemon slice drowns in a mist in the bubbling of melting ice, partially
Adding the gentle hint of taste that I seem to abhor 
Shame on me to have called for a Long island tea, I confess 
When I wanted a shot of rum or vodka in iced coffee, so I admit that fault too 
I ponder on such random choices, I make about drinks, and food also about poems that I scribble to be seldom understood by readers.

It is eleven minutes past ten, and the night is fading faster than a limping snail 
I see the moon is sort of full, hazy too due rains June is a month of many changes, what about yours?
But I digress as I always do, trying to hold on to some coherence of constantly derailing thoughts
Do you remember why you read this? It is an absurd cacophony! Oh, but you don't read my poems anyway but others find it meaningful 

That brings up another problem,the burrito bowl I ordered is a tiny portion, and weight watching won't satiate my hunger
You would remind me to keep it in check, because I would pant like a dog in an hour of our love making
It wasn't so, maybe it is my age catching up, or the smokes and food habits, read line five for the culprit 
But nevertheless, the night is young and I am being a nurse to you
You know it is impossible to be at ease when you are running a fever, so here I am at unease, away from work trying to be me and be the me you love.


## Line-by-Line Analysis of "Set that contrast knob to middle, will you?"

**Title:** "Set that contrast knob to middle, will you?" - This title sets the tone for the poem as one seeking balance and clarity. "Contrast knob" could be a metaphor for life's choices, emotions, or even the speaker's own perspective. Setting it to "middle" suggests a desire for moderation or neutrality. 

**Line 1:** "The lemon slice drowns in a mist in the bubbling of melting ice, partially" - This line introduces a sense of melancholy. The lemon slice, a symbol of sourness, is "drowning" in a "mist," hinting at a loss of clarity or purpose. The "bubbling" ice adds a sense of restlessness. "Partially" suggests the speaker is only partially experiencing this feeling.

**Line 2:** "Adding the gentle hint of taste that I seem to abhor" - This line clarifies the speaker's dislike for the Long Island iced tea they ordered. The "gentle hint" of lemon contradicts the strong dislike ("abhor"). This could be a metaphor for a situation that initially seemed appealing but has turned out unpleasant.

**Line 3:** "Shame on me to have called for a Long island tea, I confess" - Here, the speaker acknowledges their mistake in ordering the drink. "Confess" adds a touch of self-deprecation and regret.

**Line 4:** "When I wanted a shot of rum or vodka in iced coffee, so I admit that fault too" - This line reveals the speaker's true desire - a stronger drink, possibly for a pick-me-up. "Admit" reinforces the theme of acknowledging mistakes.

**Line 5:** "I ponder on such random choices, I make about drinks, and food also about poems that I scribble to be seldom understood by readers." - This line connects the speaker's choice of drink to a larger pattern of seemingly random decisions. "Scribble" suggests a lack of confidence or control in their creative process. 

**Line 6 & 7:** "It is eleven minutes past ten, and the night is fading faster than a limping snail / I see the moon is sort of full, hazy too due rains June is a month of many changes, what about yours?" - These lines shift the focus to the passage of time and the speaker's observations. The "limping snail" metaphor emphasizes the feeling of time slipping away. The "hazy" moon reflects the speaker's own lack of clarity. "June is a month of many changes" could be a general observation or a personal reflection on the speaker's own life. 

**Line 8:** "But I digress as I always do, trying to hold on to some coherence of constantly derailing thoughts" - Here, the speaker acknowledges their tendency to wander off topic and struggle to maintain focus. "Derailing thoughts" reinforces the earlier image of a lack of clarity.

**Line 9 & 10:** "Do you remember why you read this? It is an absurd cacophony! Oh, but you don't read my poems anyway but others find it meaningful" - These lines address the reader directly, questioning their purpose for reading and suggesting the poem might not be very good. ("Cacophony" means a harsh, discordant mixture of sounds.) However, the speaker finds solace in the idea that "others find it meaningful."

**Line 11:** "That brings up another problem,the burrito bowl I ordered is a tiny portion, and weight watching won't satiate my hunger" - This line introduces a new issue - a lack of satisfaction, both physical (hunger) and possibly emotional.

**Line 12:** "You would remind me to keep it in check, because I would pant like a dog in an hour of our love making" - This line introduces a personal element, referencing a past intimate moment with someone who presumably cared about the speaker's health. 

**Line 13:** "It wasn't so, maybe it is my age catching up, or the smokes and food habits, read line five for the culprit" - Here, the speaker contradicts the previous line, suggesting their past stamina wasn't exceptional. "Read line five for the culprit" playfully connects the lack of stamina to the earlier mentioned poor food and drink choices.

**Line 14 & 15:** "But nevertheless, the night is young and I am being a nurse to you / You know it is impossible to be at ease when you are running a fever, so here I am at unease, away from work trying to be me and be the me you love." - These lines end the poem on a more positive note. The speaker is caring for someone who is sick, despite their own anxieties and discomfort. "

No comments:

Post a Comment