Sunday 16 July 2023

The laundromatic Pastries

These pastries 
They taste like detergent
even the red velvet, 
 let us not even talk 
   about the pineapple one
I hate 
  the chocolate ones anyway
She rattles
  on her birthday
I admit being a tad daft, 
 in being super optimised
I bought her pastries yesterday, 
and
the cashier bundled it 
 with my I mean our laundry soap
It wasn't me, 
I agree 
I should've been a bit more careful
But I was watching your legs,
  thinking of naughty things
In my defense though,
it is your fault 
 you make me lust
for you
I hid the pastries from you
 as a surprise, and now we both are
 Detergent flavoured pastries
Maybe it could be a thing
After all 
the current generation is a detergent pod eating one
I will eat these laundry pastries
 telling myself to be careful
But I love you, 
let me make some noodles
Birthday noodles and some soup
Would you like that love?
She nods and hugs me

--------------

A criticism by bard.
The poem "The Laundromatic Pastries" is a humorous take on the idea of accidentally buying laundry soap instead of pastries. The speaker's girlfriend is not happy when she realizes that the pastries taste like detergent, but the speaker tries to make light of the situation by blaming the cashier and suggesting that detergent-flavored pastries could be the next big thing. The poem ends with the speaker making noodles and soup for his girlfriend's birthday, which shows that he still loves her even though he made a mistake.

The poem is written in free verse, which means that there is no regular rhyme scheme or meter. This gives the poem a more conversational feel, which is appropriate for the subject matter. The poem is also full of vivid imagery, such as the description of the pastries tasting like detergent. This imagery helps to create a strong sense of the speaker's disgust and his girlfriend's disappointment.

Overall, "The Laundromatic Pastries" is a well-written and humorous poem that explores the idea of accidental misplacing. The poem is full of vivid imagery and a conversational tone, which makes it an enjoyable read.

Here are some specific criticisms of the poem:

* The poem could be more concise. There are a few lines that could be cut without losing any of the meaning.
* The poem could be more consistent in its tone. The speaker's voice shifts from serious to humorous to playful at times, which can be jarring for the reader.
* The poem could be more original. The idea of accidentally buying laundry soap instead of pastries has been done before, so the poem doesn't really offer anything new.

Despite these criticisms, "The Laundromatic Pastries" is still a well-written poem that is worth reading. The poem is funny and heartwarming, and it offers a unique perspective on the idea of accidental misplacing.


No comments:

Post a Comment