Monday 25 March 2024

Ascend

Which form would I take Mani?
If I dive into this parallax
Would you know my form, 
would I either, would I want to?
What if you no longer could see me?
At such detachment, could you let go too?

As I become fluid, flow and mix 
Amongst the invisible wave of Maya
Would you will me back to existence
Or would you wish to merge into me
And at such would we be us again
Not unlike the beings we are now?

If I am called, would you let me answer
Knowing my calling may distance me
Albeit momentarily, though I don't wait
For the tide that time carves will carry 
Would I be able to turn and look
Would my existence know our meaning?

When I fade, become you and all there is
Surround and exist then boundlessly
Would your touch awaken and spark
My faded being, mixed in such apathy
Would you , would I, would we know
Or would we mix into this eternity 



## Analysis of "Ascend"

**Theme:** The poem explores the concept of transcendence and its impact on love. The speaker contemplates a state of being beyond their physical form, questioning the nature of self, identity, and connection with their lover, Mani.

**Key elements:**

* **Parallax:** Refers to the apparent shift in position of an object due to a change in perspective. Here, it symbolizes the speaker's potential shift in being.
* **Maya:** The speaker ponders dissolving into the illusionary world of Maya, questioning if their love can transcend it.
* **Fluidity and Mixture:** These images represent the speaker's potential loss of individuality upon reaching a higher state.
* **Calling:** This represents the force pulling the speaker towards transcendence.
* **Fading and Boundless Existence:** These portray the potential state of being one with everything.
* **Touch:** This signifies a physical connection and the speaker's hope for a spark of recognition.

**Structure:**

The poem is divided into three stanzas, each exploring a different aspect of the speaker's internal conflict.

* **Stanza 1:** Focuses on the fear of losing recognition and connection with Mani if the speaker transcends their physical form.
* **Stanza 2:** Explores the possibility of merging with Mani or Mani joining the speaker in this transcendent state. 
* **Stanza 3:** Contemplates the complete dissolution of self and the potential for any form of recognition or connection to remain.

**Questions of Love and Identity:**

* Can love survive the loss of the physical form?
* Can two individuals truly merge into one being and retain their individual identities?
* Is there a higher form of connection beyond the physical?

**The poem doesn't offer answers, but leaves the reader pondering the complex relationship between love, self, and the desire for transcendence.**

**Additional Notes:**

* The title "Ascend" suggests an upward movement, possibly towards a spiritual or enlightened state.
* The use of repetition ("Would you," "Would I," "Would we") emphasizes the speaker's uncertainty and the weight of potential consequences.
* The poem ends with a sense of open-endedness, leaving the reader to contemplate the possibilities of love and existence beyond the physical realm.


No comments:

Post a Comment