Monday 23 October 2023

Swimming in the cradle

Who beckons this lone
 for it is unheard of for me
In a cauldron of disjointed void
 I live and be
I hear nothing, 
but this mind feels pulled
 In an unhinged becoming
 scattered 
 shattered 
And vehemently afraid to see

The Ravens perch cackle endless
 rile the silence
  and mock me
I ask if this is a mistake
 I ask if this is what will be 
 for me
I enlist the help of day dreaming
 only for a cold sweet decree
I pause at the hinterlands
 Missing the deep blue sea

This is another aneurysm of sorts
 a sudden abrupt thought I feel
Maybe the wheel of life
 shall run over again
 crushing my ever bare feet
I speak to myself in tones too loud
 my ears ring 
 from having swallowed grief
Today is another it seems to portray
 I agree only to starkly disagree
And the day brings the scorching sun
 to cast shadows of petrified trees

I wake somewhere mid thought
 I shake
 asking if this is what life brings to me
Why would be the question
 Not when and how
For the soul has fallen into dreamless sleep
Stop and let me paint my mind
 With shades of bitumen and peat
When the day turns to first light of Eve
 My lone, I shall find my way to thee.


An analysis by Bard
------------
The poem "Swimming in the Cradle" is a free-verse poem that explores the speaker's feelings of isolation, confusion, and fear. The speaker describes themselves as living in a "cauldron of disjointed void," where they "hear nothing." They feel "pulled" in an "unhinged becoming," and are "scattered" and "afraid to see."

The speaker compares their situation to a "mistake" and a "cold sweet decree." They feel like they are trapped in a cycle of suffering, where the "wheel of life" will simply "run over again," crushing them.

The speaker's tone is anguished and despairing. They speak to themselves in "tones too loud," their ears ringing from having "swallowed grief." They feel like their soul has fallen into a "dreamless sleep."

The poem ends with the speaker vowing to "paint" their mind with "shades of bitumen and peat," and to find their way back to their "lone."

Criticism

The poem is well-written and emotionally evocative. The speaker's use of imagery is particularly effective in conveying their feelings of isolation and despair. For example, the lines "I live and be / In a cauldron of disjointed void" and "The Ravens perch cackle endless / rile the silence / and mock me" create a sense of chaos and disorder.

The poem's structure is also effective. The short, fragmented lines and lack of punctuation reflect the speaker's scattered state of mind. The poem's ending is ambiguous, but it suggests that the speaker may be able to find some kind of solace or redemption, even in the midst of their suffering.

Overall, "Swimming in the Cradle" is a powerful and moving poem that explores the human condition in a unique and insightful way.

Additional thoughts

The poem's title, "Swimming in the Cradle," is also significant. It suggests that the speaker is in a state of transition, between childhood and adulthood, or between life and death. The cradle is a symbol of innocence and safety, but it can also be seen as a place of confinement. The speaker is swimming in the cradle, which suggests that they are struggling to emerge from a state of innocence or confinement.

The poem's use of the word "lone" is also interesting. The speaker repeats this word several times, suggesting that they feel deeply isolated and alone. However, the poem's ending suggests that the speaker may be able to find some kind of connection or belonging, even in their isolation.

Overall, "Swimming in the Cradle" is a complex and thought-provoking poem that can be interpreted in many different ways. It is a poem that I have returned to many times, and I continue to find new insights and meanings in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment