Friday 25 June 2021

Chakka Sambar

The sambar is ready, Chakka sambar
And Raju loves it no other way
Dosas or rice, not idlis for sure
And his heart melts and remembers it
Ammama's hand making it
My amma has tried, my baiko has tried
And I have roamed the countryside
Yet the essence of Ammama's Chakka sambar
Retains it prime position forever and on
Lotus root, mutton liver, pizza,
 tambda and pandhra rassa
Kokam kadi, rasam, seared seer fish
Squid rings, prawns, crabs, not chicken
Nothing seems to compensate
It's her perfect blend of parippus and puli
And gently cooked chakka slices
Maybe its her hand, at this point who knows
For she seems to be the only key
After 3 PM from Holy Family
When Joseph uncle would let me alight
Into the waiting arms of my ammamma
She would tell me, Raju vegam Vaa, Samabar indakitund.
Ammamma was the magic of life
She was the magic of Sambar,
Chakka Sambar

No comments:

Post a Comment