Sunday 13 December 2020

Wedlock and Wisdom

Sit with me while I write this song
Hold me not, touch not, speak not
Let me be, but be here, yet be not
Deflect the air, yet make no prints
Like staring into the eyes of a spectacled cobra
Focus, yet move not
Mend your ways, breathe silently
Don’t cough, sneeze, smirk, speak, talk
Sit by me like a wife should
Breathing, pretty, obedient, pleasing
Listen, hear, follow, bend to my wishes
When you chose wedlock
You chose so with glee
So now don’t bicker, and silent be
You chased this, you wanted this
This, and it is your identity
Do not disturb me, or disobey
I will just send you away
You are your own miscreant
And you are your own undoing
For wedlock rhymes with patriarchy
Want not if this then leave
And if leave you shall, educate the others
To be free, one has to be able
And strong, and steadfast and thirst for it
For there is no freedom here
There will never be

No comments:

Post a Comment