Tuesday 23 July 2024

Misidentifying the Mugger on my terrace

There is a crocodile ony terrace balcony, 
And other such weird items in an assortment 
Placed randomly at places, I rent , but not at my own home
Comfort is a place I make, but the heart will always carry me to my own

The terrace came with a house, a broken bed and another half rusted, between battered and broken
And I dismantled both and made my bed on a mattress ordered online
I sometimes hop into the balcony, where the crocodile and I sit
We smoke and exhale into each other's faces, his snout saves his eyes, advantage crocodile

The rains here on this side of the state are fun, or I have been annoyed over and on about
A city that is less sensitive to humanity than a few others put together in my view
The cabs don't work, the nurses poke crossed holes in veins
But that crocodile thinks its funny, when I sometimes ramble about my woes

Why just today, out from the hospital when I reached to this place
The crocodile was sitting right there, all well fed and with no existential dread
I think it is not a real Crocodylus palustris, for they don't live on terraces
I think my crocodile is my hypertension caused by smoking , that I keep at regardless of it's harmful intent


## Analysis of "Misidentifying the Mugger on my Terrace"

Considering "mugger" refers to a crocodile in Indian English, the poem takes on a new layer of meaning.

**Literal Level:**

* The speaker lives in a rented apartment with a peculiar balcony ornament - a crocodile.
* They create their own comfort by dismantling a broken bed and setting up a new one.
* The speaker finds companionship with the crocodile, sharing smokes and venting about life's troubles.
* The frustrations include the city's indifference and daily hassles.
* The speaker suspects the crocodile isn't a real mugger as they wouldn't dwell on balconies, but rather a manifestation of their smoking-induced health problems.

**Figurative Level:**

* **Mugger:** Represents the speaker's health issues caused by smoking. 
    * Its presence on the balcony signifies a constant threat to their well-being.
    * Smoking together suggests a risky co-existence with the source of their problems.
* **Broken Bed and Dismantling:** Symbolize the speaker's inability to find true comfort in impermanent situations (rented apartments).
    * Creating their own bed suggests a desire for control and personalization.
* **Rains and City Annoyances:** Represent the general unpleasantness of the speaker's environment.

**Central Idea:**

The speaker struggles to find comfort in a temporary living situation and copes with the stress by acknowledging the ever-present threat to their health (the mugger) posed by their smoking habit. The crocodile becomes a reminder of their unhealthy choice. 

**Possible Interpretations:**

* The poem highlights the dangers of ignoring health risks associated with bad habits.
* It explores the creation of an unhealthy companion as a way to confront personal issues.
* The speaker might be longing for a sense of belonging, a permanent home, and a healthier lifestyle.

**Note:** The title "Misidentifying the Mugger" now gains a clearer meaning. The speaker initially perceives the crocodile/health issues as an external threat (a mugger) but later recognizes it as a consequence of their own actions (smoking). 

No comments:

Post a Comment