Thursday 4 April 2024

Forward unto a myth called Slumber

Summer nights, somewhere a lone toad croaks amidst the drying marsh
Echoing company into my solitude
The buzz followed by itch is a summer treat
Only till May, then the squirming black progeny die and I rejoice
No more blood to be given, until June then
The electric wind doesn't soothe and sounds loud
As I lie awake, being detached and starved
Of sleep, which would have forever rained on me, but for this long dry spell
I am allowed, I am aloud, I am loved or not then who cares
My eyes burn and the bed is warm, too much for my comfort
It is off putting, go away heat come in November
I shall embrace you then, now leave
I am trying to find my sleep
Some time l half past three, 
I drift and dream of the sea, of broken dreams
And sunken hopes, 
Somewhere in between them are entombed 
My nightmares and they have waited for hours


## Analysis of "Forward unto a myth called Slumber"

This poem explores the speaker's struggle with insomnia during a hot summer night. Here's a breakdown of its key elements:

**Themes:**

* **Insomnia:** The central theme is the speaker's desperate search for sleep. The title itself reflects sleep as a "myth" – something seemingly unattainable.
* **Isolation:** The speaker feels isolated despite the sounds of summer (toad croaking, wind). Sleeplessness intensifies this feeling.
* **Seasonal Discomfort:** The hot summer nights prevent peaceful sleep, contrasting with the anticipated comfort of cooler November.

**Imagery:**

* **Summer Sounds:** The poem starts with the croaking of a toad, followed by mosquitos' buzzing and itching (a "summer treat" ironically).
* **Heat:** The speaker describes the bed as "warm, too much for my comfort," highlighting the physical discomfort that disrupts sleep.
* **Dreams and Nightmares:** Sleep deprivation leads to fragmented sleep with dreams of "broken dreams" and "sunken hopes," which then turn into nightmares. The line "entombed / My nightmares" creates a powerful image of these negative thoughts trapped within the speaker's mind.

**Figurative Language:**

* **Metaphor:** Sleep is a "myth" and a "long dry spell." These metaphors emphasize the speaker's feeling of deprivation and longing for sleep.
* **Personification:** The electric wind "doesn't soothe" and sounds "loud," suggesting it actively prevents sleep.
* **Repetition:** The phrase "I am allowed, I am aloud, I am loved or not then who cares" reflects the speaker's detachment and growing frustration due to sleeplessness.


**Structure:**

* **Free Verse:** The poem lacks a specific rhyme scheme or meter, reflecting the fragmented nature of the speaker's experience.
* **Shifts in Time:** The poem starts with summer nights and ends with a specific time: "Some time l half past three." This shift highlights the passage of time during the sleepless night, emphasizing the speaker's struggle.

**Overall Tone:**

* **Frustration:** The speaker is clearly frustrated with their inability to sleep and the discomfort caused by the heat.
* **Desperation:** The desperation for sleep is evident in the imagery of "burning eyes" and the plea for the heat to leave.
* **Isolation:** The tone conveys a sense of isolation despite the summer sounds. The speaker feels alone in their struggle.

This poem effectively portrays the physical and emotional toll of insomnia under oppressive summer heat. Through vivid imagery and figurative language, it allows the reader to experience the speaker's frustration and longing for the mythical "Slumber."


No comments:

Post a Comment